Ads by Smowtion

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Imran on love, marriage and movies


You loathe love stories in your new movie I Hate Luv Storys. Do you believe in love in real life?

Everybody believes in love in real life. In the film, I play a quirky and fun character who is quite cynical at times. His tastes in movies and the way he perceives life are different from others.

The romantic genre worked well for you in your first film Jaane Tu...Ya Jaane Na . Are you hoping to recreate the magic?

I don’t know about recreating the magic, but I am happy with the way the film has turned up. I am comfortable doing most genres, but this one’s clicked for me. Also, what I do at a particular point in time depends on my mood. When this script came to me, I was looking to do something fun.

Your pairing with Sonam Kapoor has been already appreciated.

Before we started filming I had met Sonam just twice socially. But we became good friends while shooting. In a love story, it is important for the pair to look good together. If the pairing doesn’t click, the movie doesn’t click. I am glad people are appreciating us already.

You debuted with a first-time director, Abbas Tyrewala. Punit Malhotra too is debuting with I Hate Love Storys. Do you believe newcomers are more driven by their passion for cinema?

It would be unfair to say that newcomers are more driven than others. Personally, I enjoy working with people who are closer to my age. I can relate to them. My next director Danish Aslam too is a debutant and currently I am having a great time working with him You have always maintained that you are not a great dancer. Does that change with this film?

I have a club number in this film. I hope I have done well. Also, when you know what your weak points are, you try to improve with every film.

Did the failure of Kidnap and Luck make you careful in choosing roles?

Not at all. I’ve been brought up in a family closely associated with films. I know how movie business works. A hit or a flop doesn’t help you decide your next movie. You win some, you lose some.

Why has your movie Delhi Belly taken so long to release?

It should release some time early next year. Aamir (Khan) was busy with 3 Idiots and director Abhinay Deo started working on his other film Game. Now that both of them are relatively free, they will start with the pre-production of Delhi Belly. The shoot is complete.

Is marriage on the cards this year?

No. I don’t have the time this year.